Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Miscellanous Agenda


1. Reading Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis. It's made me mad a couple times. He leads right to the edge of the Gospel, capturing it differently than you'll read else where, then heads in another direction. I'm only on page 64, so I can't tell if it's intentional or not, yet. Like the Eric and Melissa said, this book will make you think. It's helped me capture some thoughts that have keeping in the dusty shadows; it's put some flesh on them. Again the disclaimer that I'm only on page 64, but the book is dangerous. It will challenge your beliefs, especially if you come from a "traditional" Christian background. You need to be strong enough to keep your footing.


2. You need to check out Red Mountain Music's Depth's of Mercy. Satisfied is incredible.


3. More on Rob Bell. The Boundless Line (a Focus on the Family blog) had some interesting things to say about comments he made while touring for his second book, Sex God. And while you're at the Boundless Line, check out some of the other entries.


4. I don't know how to describe it, but if your sense of humor is a little off, you might enjoy SteveBrownEtc. I love it and Emily just rolls her eyes. (Steve Brown's more serious side can be found at Keylife).


See ya on the flip side. (whatever that means)

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I agree. The deeper I get into this book the more my spirit cringes. I wouldn't recommend it to a new believer, that's for sure. It has challenged me in some areas though. I did check out the blog you linked and I was really disappointed to see his stance on the virgin birth and homosexuality.

Josh said...

I am extremely thankful you suggested it. Once I'm done, I'm sure I'll have a thousand questions for ya'll.

Melissa said...

looking forward to talking about it....

gideonmommasita said...

How exactly do you get to the flipside? Can I directions from RandMcNally.com? Glad the book is making you think and it sounds like you are going to finish it before the library wants it back! Hope you don't drop it on the floor tonight like you did last night with the Family Tree Maker when you fell asleep! :)

Josh said...

Our wives keep us humble.

CroppinRobin said...

loving emily's comments...