Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Why do we fall?


It's kinda like spelunking.


Starting out, I was hunched over and uncomfortable. Sometimes it was so tight I found myself crawling. Muscles I never use ached. I began to doubt my decision to even come. The walls were too close, the darkness even closer. Everything in me was screaming, "Go back," but there was a hope that strengthened me, pushing me on. Oh, what peace when you yield to that hope! Then everything opens up, joy.


Everything opens up, like someone removing the blinders. And as I press on, He continues to fuel me with His hope, sharing His light. As the light disperses the darkness, more and more of the beauty and expanse of the cavern is revealed. His light even penetrates that sin I've hid within, forcing me to let go of it. The overwhelming glory of what He has revealed further proclaims His majesty and might, even His terrifying Holiness. Yet by His grace He chose me, however minuscule, to witness this glory, to share in His righteousness.


Its a journey better shared. Since we moved I've failed to cultivate a friendship with a fellow brother to the point of sharpening iron. As a husband and a father, and an employee, etc, I've sacrificed, foolishly, time and energy I should have put into my friendships. R. Kent Hughes hits the nail on the head. "Friendship is not optional. . . [you] need Christian male friends who have a same-sex understanding of the serpentine passages of your heart . . ." (Disciplines of a Godly Man)


Men have a tendency to isolate themselves. Whatever the excuse, this separation leads, ultimately, to discouragement. The Bible strengthens us, yes, and convicts us. Isolated, I have a tendency, no matter how many books or blogs I read, to feel I am the only man out there who fails. I am the only man out there who does not consistently discipline my children. I am the only man out there that is not instructing my children as God has called me. I am the only man out there that fails to continually honor, encourage and lift up my wife. I am the only man who fails to lay down his life for his wife. I am the only man out there that does not love the Lord my God with all my heart and with all my soul and with all my strength and with all my mind. Discouragement.


Knowing other men more than superficially, floods the church with grace. As I get to know the men in my church and their failings, they become more to me than the guy with the kids who sit still through the sermon and has it all together, more than the man that always asks the perfect question in Sunday school. They become genuine. As I get to know the men in my church, I am encouraged. I am able to witness the fresh fruits of His presence and His grace in areas where they struggle. I am encouraged because, as I get to know these men, I realize I am not alone.

4 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

Everyone needs a friend and to know they are not alone, glad you see it's not just for women. Thank you for trying again and again at this.

Melissa said...

I'm glad to know other men struggle with the same issues my husband struggles with, Josh. Thank you for sharing your heart.

Melissa said...

Well, I'm not glad you struggle! Oh, you know what I mean, right?

CroppinRobin said...

Love your relevant blog posts....