Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Kill Your TV?


I don't know why, but I've been watching the Olympics. I've never been interested before. Though not I'm athletic by any means, I believe it's the typical male's over developed sense of competitiveness. Men can create a competition out of anything. I've found myself jumping up and down shouting at and cheering on some swimmer, half the world away (so you've got to be loud), I've never heard of prior to reading their name on the screen thirty seconds before. Then in the middle of my little victory dance back and forth in front of the television (being mindful that Emily is attempting to go back to sleep after being startled awake after my sudden yelping), in middle of all that excitement emerges the destroyer of my desire to watch any sporting event on television, commercials.


Not that they're all bad. I've learned that the corporate machine in America (especially car companies) loves nature and has been the leading force in the green movement. Also, Olympians desire McDonald's food more than any gold medal. I've been taught that I can do it, and they can help. I've come to know that Barack has never been on a construction site if he thinks the same hands that install roofs would ever be trusted to even touch a solar panel. And, I've learned that NBC can't promote a show from their fall line-up without sex.

That sucks.

I'm a just about a month and a half from having a teenage boy about the house. It would be nice to be able to watch some sports with him and his brothers. No, not all the commercials are trash, but enough are. I can steer clear of the lousy shows on tv these days, but how do you avoid the commercials? My folks mute the tv at every commercial break, but you still get the images of women in various states of undress.

So what do you do? I'm going to turn it off (well, right after Michael Phelps swims again in a few minutes. Go USA!)

3 comments:

CroppinRobin said...

say it with me....DVR.

i can't remember the last time i watched a commerical. we DVR everything and watch it later, at a more convenient time.

michael is obsessed, is that the right word, with the olympics, too. he even checked the DVR this morning before he went to work to make sure there was enough room for the olympics that will be recorded today. yep, i think obsessed is the right word.

gideonmommasita said...

Figured you'd change the look of your blog if you weren't going to make a new one? You mean, after watching all those races you don't want to have a chicken biscuit...you deserve it!

Michael said...

Nah Nah Na Nah NAh... you got tagged...now YOUR IT!