Thursday, January 22, 2009

What Entertains Me?

I’ve enjoyed project playlist the past month or so.  As I reconnect with old friends on facebook, it’s been fun listening to the songs I enjoyed 20+ years ago.  But as I listen to some of these songs, they tear at me, at my faith, at a holiness God has called me to pursue.

Several weeks ago a friend on facebook posted a John Piper quote that has stuck with me: “there are almost no movies that don't ask me to be entertained by attitudes, motives, & actions which Jesus died to eradicate.”

I hate that quote, or better, my flesh hates that quote.  It forces me to think about the idols I’ve spent years tenderly nourishing.  It brings to mind 1 Corinthians 6:12, “All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be enslaved by anything.”

The problem with thinking about idols is that, as a Christian, you’re bound to realize they’re a problem, that they separate you from God, that they’re purpose is to be smashed.

But, I’ve built parts of my life on a foundation of idols, despite the Sunday school song!  If I go smashing up these idols, I might mess up this comfortable life.  I’m kinda happy here.

Enslaved?  Boy, Paul nailed me on that one.

Despite the painful cry of my flesh, I know that with each idol smashed, I’ll find myself closer to Him, Jesus Christ, the only source of true Joy.

1 comment:

gideonmommasita said...

Beautifully written dear...thank you.
The tv night song was funny...in a satirical kind of way.