Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sowing & Reaping


John-Thomas will be climbing in his first competition this weekend. Being in Gainesville, we thought we'd look up Mike, his godfather, and catch up some while we were down there. Em tried calling with no success. So tonight, I googled and googled for about twenty minutes trying different keywords until I tracked down what I hope is a good email address. But he's now in California.

Mike and I went to high school together. For quite some time, I'd say we were best friends. Mike gave me my first Bible. No big gospel spiel, just a simple challenge, five minutes a day. I never succeeded; it was more like five minutes a month. Only recently have I managed his original proposition. Still, God used his concern for me to plant the seed that others would harvest. In fact, when Mike and Tami were married, quite some time ago, Mike introduced me at the rehearsal dinner as his 'heathen friend'. It was greeted by a bunch of nervous laughter by Tami's Southern Baptist family.

God blessed Mike with charisma. He'd make friends instantly whether in a boardroom or working with at-risk kids. I've never known him to hold back; he has always been daring and honest, and appreciated for it. I've missed much of his adult life, but the little I remember from high school (it's been fun reflecting on all the stuff we did: powder-puff cheerleadering, publishing an underground newspaper, working on the literary magazine, drama, plays, multiple classes, near expulsion our junior year, prom, skipping school to go to Vero, etc, etc), coupled with the times we've caught up over the years, God has always been with him, throughout multiple challenges and blessings. I've forgotten how much I miss him. I hope it is a good email address.

* * *
It was five or six years after Mike gave me that Bible, that I gave my life to Christ (as much as a dead man can offer anything!). Emily patiently and carefully led me toward Him, as my eyes were gradually opened. A million little things had to fall in place, and they did. God is good.

* * *
So who planted the Gospel in your life? Who harvested? Are you still in contact with them? Not just that, but in whose life are you planting? Harvesting?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Well, Robin and Sara are the 2 people that immediately come to mind. However, if I think back to my early childhood, I had teachers from Boca Christian that were planting seeds. My mom did some cultivating. It's really awesome to look back and see how God was wooing even before I realized it.
There aren't enough seeds being planted by me today. I know I need to spend more time at the Gardener's Store!

Gloria said...

I was the neighbor's kid.... you know the one that the neighbor's family was always inviting or taking to church. I was in 4th grade and my neighbor was the Sunday School teacher, I would ride with them. One Sunday she asked if anyone had not asked Jesus in their heart and would like to she was going to say a prayer. That was my day. Then in 7th grade I met Jenette and went to church with her (which is where I met your wife). That is when I fell in love with the Lord, His mercy and grace, and began to want to know more about Him.

Do you think that there is a "gift" of evangelism? I know that all of us are to represent Christ in our lives, be HIS light to the world. Be in the world but not of the world, but actively verbally witnessing, knocking on doors, or coming right out to your co-worker and asking if they are saved - do you think it is a gift (like we all have different roles in the body) or a universal responsibility as Christians?

Josh said...

What a great question. After thinking about some, I'm not all sure we get the whole 'gift' thing right. I started by thinking, what am I good at? What am I comfortable with? If that's how I diecide what my gift is, I'm really gifted at laziness and eating ice cream. Don't get me wrong, I truly believe His word about Christians being different parts of the same body. God tells us how He sets elders apart, teachers, etc. But as far as evangelism (not necessarily going door to door asking them to pray a prayer, but truly sharing and discipling) is every Christians duty. Duty a funny word here, because is should naturally flow from us as a result of His love for us, and vica verca. Evangelism should truly be the product of our mercy toward others. As we love and sacrifice to comfort and meet the needs of those around us, our neighbors, evangelism will be there. They will know we are Christians by our love.