Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sacrifice

I'd like to believe I sacrifice for the sake of others. I know what it means to sacrifice. I've sacrificed my enjoyment of flour tortillas and biscuits to lose weight. I constantly sacrifice time for myself to spend time with the kids, at extra church activities, or even when someone calls and asks for my help on something.

But that's not really sacrifice.

Now Jesus sat opposite the treasury and saw how the people put money into the treasury. And many who were rich put in much. Then one poor widow came and threw in two mites, which make a quadrans. So He called His disciples to Himself and said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury; for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood." Mark 12:41-44

Sacrifice is giving what is inconvenient. Mercy requires a sacrifice of your time, and usually a part of your heart. It does not fit into your schedule. It will mess up your plans. You will get hurt and dirty. If I only give up my sin (commonly in my case, a persistent self-centeredness) that is not sacrifice. I find my sacrifice is often out of my 'abundance' and has rarely, if ever, been my 'whole livelihood.'



(This week's weigh in: Ray was the big loser again, another 4.4 pounds, for a total of 17.8. I only lost another 1.4, for a total of 11 pounds. Our group has lost a total of 59 pounds in the first three weeks. Yea, Ray!)

3 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

And I thought you were just posting weight results! Wow...mercy requires part of your heart? Where do you get this stuff? Love you honey...thanks for being so thoughtful.

Gloria said...

"It will mess up your plans. You will get hurt and dirty..... I find my sacrifice is often out of my 'abundance' and has rarely, if ever, been my 'whole livelihood.'"

Our Pastor spoke of this widow at the Wednesday night service. It inspired me to empty my wallet of the cash I had...but it wasn't as if my whole livelihood was put into the offering. It made me think of how much faith it took to take that step....faith or desperation? Is there a balance between abundance, obedience, and sacrifice?

Gloria said...

~ good job on the 11 pounds ~ yeah!!!