Saturday, July 28, 2007

What is my goal?


The July 28th entry in My Utmost for His Highest opens with, "We are apt to imagine that Jesus Christ constrains us, and we obey Him, He will lead us to great success. We must never put our dreams of success as God's purpose for us; His purpose may be exactly the opposite." It calls to mind Romans 9:20 & 21, "But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, Why have you made me like this? Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?"


The Utmost entry is titled "After Obedience --- What?" After obedience? The title itself knocked me back, and how much more the words that followed. How could this man who died 90 years ago know me so well? I am not obedient, so why even glance at the other side of this insurmountable precipice? It defines obedience.


How many times have I ignored His call because I felt insufficient? Or because I've held more tightly to the guilt of my sin than to the cross and His grace? "I am not spiritual enough to . . ." "I do not read my Bible enough to . . . " "I am too sinful to . . ."


I need to be continually reminded that it is odedience to His call that strengthens me spiritually. It is obedience that draws me into His Word and aids to put my sin in its proper place. The July 28th entry puts me feet back on the road, "if we realize that obedience is the end, then each moment as it comes is precious."

No comments: